Prepared to Lose Your Glasses? 10 ideas for choosing a LASIK or Laser Vision Correction CenterThe world of ophthalmology is among the fastest evolving fields of medicine. Never ever before have many scientific breakthroughs and brand-new methods emerged in such a short period of time. LASIK surgical treatment, which utilizes an excimer laser to reshape the cornea, offers countless people the chance to minimize or eliminate their need for contacts or glasses .
Television and radio advertisements are filled with incredible stories about LASIK surgery as the quick and pain-free way to correct vision, but stories are likewise appearing about individuals for whom it was less than successful. Before you choose to go under the beam, what can you do to assist ensure that you will more than happy with your results?
The crucial to safe surgery in any field of medication is an educated client. Take a little time and research the LASIK center you are thinking about for laser eye surgery. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction cosmetic surgeons in a nationwide survey by Ophthalmology Times, provides the following standards to quality care and treatment.
1. Find a medical professional by getting referrals from other medical professionals or from patients who have actually had LASIK or laser vision correction.
2. Do not be fooled by fancy ads about a particular laser. Pick the doctor, not the laser center. Find out who will actually do your procedure, then inquire about that doctor's certifications (e.g., board accreditation, unique training).
3. Choose a physician who has done a minimum of 5,000 LASIK or eye laser surgical treatments. Exactly what a medical professional doesn't understand can injure you.
4. Request for information on your doctor's LASIK eye surgery complication rates. If your physician will not inform you, find another one. For leading cosmetic surgeons, the figure is under 3 in 1,000.
5. Ask what measures are required to prevent infection. Search for a center with a sterilized or dust-free operating room. Make sure that non reusable helpful hints parts are not reused. Firmly insist that your eye is thoroughly sanitized, and insist that the surgical instruments be sterilized prior to your eye laser surgical treatment to eliminate the threat of transmission of HIV or liver disease.
6. Beware of advertisements pressing "low cost" LASIK surgical treatment. Discount surgical treatment is as great as a discount parachute. The possible savings are unworthy the risk of getting less than expert care!
Anticipate to see really well after LASIK, but don't expect to see completely. As with any eye laser surgical treatment, results are as private as each client. Be careful of any doctor who promises 20/20 vision.
If you feel like you're getting a hard sell, you probably are. You're not buying a automobile; this is genuine LASIK eye surgical treatment.
9. Implantable lenses will probably offer better vision than LASIK if your level of nearsightedness is more than -11 or so. Think about waiting till the new lenses are available. Ask your physician about them and other recent advances.
10. While you investigate, do not forget the advantages: for many people, a lifetime of bad vision can be cured in 5 minutes. LASIK eye surgical treatment has actually improved the eyesight of millions of individuals worldwide.